I very much enjoy outreach and over the past few years have been lucky enough to gain some very enjoyable outreach experience, some highlights of which are as follows:
STFC POST Fellowship
- Think Space Lecture at the Royal Observatory Greenwich (Feb 2020)
- Career talk and Q&A at the Harris Girls’ Academy Bromley (May 2019)
- Guest scientist for Crick Institute outreach event, invited to speak informally about cosmology with public (Jan 2019)
- Performed a story about a battle between light and neutral Hydrogen that was illustrated with a live piece of original music for school children at Big Bang Storytelling, The Skip Garden, London (Oct 2018).
- 50-min talk on "The First Stars and Galaxies" to the Crystal Palace & Penge Women's institute (Sep 2017)
- 90-minute talk on reionisation and detecting the 21-cm line with future telescopes to Crayford Manor House Astronomical Society (Apr 2017).
- 45-minute lecture on “The 21-cm line of atomic hydrogen in the high-redshift Universe” to the University College London Astronomy diploma club (Nov 2016)
- Wrote a 4-page briefing as part of an STFC POST Fellowship entitled "The Commercial Uses of Space". This note is designed to provide both houses of Parliament with an overview of the UK's space activities and any policy-related issues (Nov 2014 to Feb 2015).
- Worked as an astronomer at the Royal Observatory Greenwich in the planetarium. This allowed me to talk about all things space for hours on end to hundreds of school children and members of the public (Oct 2012 - Apr 2014).
- Presented a 50-min talk as part of the Think Space lecture series (Mar 2015).
- Worked on an STFC exhibition in the House of Commons, talking with MPs and members of the general public about the UK's extensive involvement in Astronomy and the space industry (Oct 2013).
- Helped with public lectures in my department by advertising the events and ushering on the night, most recently for the Sensual Universe public lecture series (2013-2014).
- Took part in a 3 day residential course covering all aspects of science communication, involving producing a scientific radio show at BBC broadcasting house and a TV news article (Jan 2013).
STFC POST Fellowship